In order to register as a student in this regard with ICAN, an applicant must hold:
- The degree of any University or Higher National Diploma of any Polytechnic accredited by the Council, or
- Any other qualification for the time being approved by the Council.
- The final examination of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators
- The final examination of the former Corporation of Secretaries.
- The final examination of the Association of International Accountants
- The final examination of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria
- The final examination of the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers
- The final examination of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria
- The final examination of the Association of Accounting Technicians, U.K.
- The final examination of the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN)
- Executive Management Accountancy (Federal Treasury Training School, Stage III)
- The final examination of Accounting Technicians Scheme, West Africa (ATSWA).
Joining ICAN as a Professional Student is divided into three levels:
The Subjects to be attempted in the different Levels are:
- Business, Management and Finance (BMF)
- Financial Accounting (FA)
- Management Information (MI)
- Business Law (BL)
- Financial Reporting (FR)
- Audit and Assurance (AA)
- Taxation (TAX)
- Performance Management (PM)
- Public Sector Accounting and Finance (PSAF)
- Corporate Strategic Management and Ethics (CSME)
- Corporate Reporting (CR)
- Advanced Audit and Assurance (AAA)
- Strategic Financial Management (SFM)
- Advanced Taxation (ATAX)
- Case Study (CS)
However, pursuant to established Standards, guidelines and schedules, applicants and prospective students /students a get exemption with regards to some Subject and in some courses from ICAN.